Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50547 Library:100122 in /home/bceln2/secure/mysql_pconnect.php on line 4
Selection StrategyElectronic resources are selected by the BC ELN consortium in a manner consistent with its mandate to pursue products and services that bring maximum benefit to the BC post-secondary system as a whole.
BC ELNís resource licensing strategy depends upon a distributed support environment that draws upon the strengths and abilities represented within BC ELN partner libraries. Proposals for electronic resource licensing originating from BC ELN partner libraries are assumed to be consistent with their mission and research goals. Designated partner library staff evaluate available electronic resources according to criteria reflecting the needs of their local institution.
BC ELN facilitates collaborative decision-making responsibilities regarding the licensing of electronic resources by following these underlying principles:
- To seek a balance across a broad spectrum of academic disciplines (arts and humanities, sciences, social sciences including business, and general or cross-disciplinary resources)
- To minimize the number of user interfaces without compromising the quality and presentation of data, nor the competitive advantage when products are available from multiple vendors
- To give priority to licensing digital resources which offer economies of scale by benefiting the most BC ELN partner libraries system-wide
BC ELN's role in the selection process is:
- To facilitate and coordinate the process of selection, licensing and access to digital content
- To gather information (e.g. background material, title lists, other relevant documentation)
- To arrange database trials
- To negotiate the best pricing
- To examine the license agreement and negotiate terms and conditions