Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50547 Library:100122 in /home/bceln2/secure/mysql_pconnect.php on line 4
Associate Membership Checklist
General Requirements for Associate MembersAssociate Members must meet all the following requirements:
- Embrace the vision, mission, values and principles of BC ELN.
- Be operational in British Columbia.
- Be part of a post-secondary institution.
- Have a library available to their BC students.
- Have consent by the Province of British Columbia through the Degree Quality Assessment Board or,
- Be accredited by the Private Career Training Institutions Agency (of BC) or,
- Have authority from the Government of BC to offer credentials (includes institutional charters passed by the BC Legislature);
- Provide accredited Full Time Equivalent (FTE) student numbers annually.
- Have adequate and dedicated library staffing levels.
- Meet all the requirements listed for the BC ELN services they subscribe to;
- Understand and comply with procedural requirements of any BC ELN product(s) or service area(s) the member participates in, including the automatic renewal approach to database licensing;
- Comply with Terms and Conditions of licenses signed by BC ELN on the members' behalf;
- Promptly pay invoices for BC ELN coordinated products and services. At the discretion of BC ELN, prepayment may be required.
BC ELN Affiliation
- BC ELN Associate Membership allows libraries to claim Ďaffiliationí status with BC ELN. Affiliation status does not extend to the host site Simon Fraser University.
- Libraries can choose to be members only and not subscribe to any of the services. However, membership is a requirement to access any of these services.
Fee Requirements for Associate MembersApplication and Assessment Fee
- Libraries applying for BC ELN Associate Membership are required to pay BC ELN an application fee of $500. The applicant is responsible for any travel expenses incurred by the BC ELN Office during the application process.
- The application fee is non-refundable regardless of the decision of the BC ELN Steering Committee regarding the application.
- The application fee is a one-time fee while the library remains a member. If a library withdraws from BC ELN or becomes ineligible for membership and chooses to reapply, the application fee may be required again at the discretion of the BC ELN Director.
Annual Associate Membership Fee
All libraries accepted to be BC ELN Associate Members are required to pay the following:
- a membership fee annually as approved by the BC ELN Steering Committee;
- service specific fees of those they subscribe to;
- all fees are outlined on the Associate Member Fee Schedule.
Service Specific Requirements for Associate MembersAssociate Members participating in the Research Database Licensing service must:
- Agree to comply with the licenses negotiated by BC ELN including protecting appropriate access guidelines;
- Pay for all vendor licensing costs for databases that they choose to subscribe to;
- Be able to provide accurate FTE counts;
- Have IP addresses that are distinct to their institution;
- Provide secure authentication if off-campus database access is allowed;
- Have technical support at a workable level so that BC ELN licensed databases can be accessed by users;
- Have appropriate staffing levels so that instructional support to their institutionís users is available for licensed databases.
- Commit to the AskAway Service Guidelines, Policies, and Procedures as outlined at http://www.eln.bc.ca/askaway/index.php?page=policies.
- Provide professional staff time to the AskAway service as appropriate and set out at http://www.eln.bc.ca/askaway/index.php?page=commit.
- Have adequate electronic resources available for learners and AskAway service providers to facilitate the online reference experience.
- Have, or demonstrate a timeline towards achieving, an online library catalogue accessible to off-site users and AskAway service providers.
- Have on-site reference available so that AskAway is a supplement only to existing services.