Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50547 Library:100122 in /home/bceln2/secure/mysql_pconnect.php on line 4
Progress Report - April - September 2011
Highlights of the Progress Report
- BC ELN Strategic Plan 2011/12 – 2015/16 endorsed by BC ELN Steering Committee July 8, 2011.
- KnowBC successfully transitioned from subsidy to opt-in license with 17 participants.
- Entertainment use rights option for ACF license made available.
- Provided detailed information on BC ELN licenses and participants to the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) and the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC) as part of the Access Copyright interrogatories.
- Welcomed new Associate Member and AskAway participant Columbia Bible College.
Bold Step 1: Increasing the Format and Content Range of Online Resources
Strategy 1.1 Grow Learner Resources (Collaborative Collection of High Quality Resources)
Maintain and expand collaborative collection of learner resources to include more content and a wider variety of formats, including streaming video and ebooks.
- Transitioned KnowBC from subsidy to opt-in license with 17 participating sites
- Transitioned Wilson products from ProQuest / Wilson to EBSCO as a result of Wilson / EBSCO merge
- Renewed Public Performance Rights (PPR) license with Audio Cine Films (ACF) and Criterion. New option to add in entertainment rights to ACF license made available to participating libraries.
- Initiated conversations with Films on Demand, top-ranked database in 2010/11 Ranking Survey, on consortial license
- Initiated conversations with National Film Board on license for Online Screening Room
- Renewed 43 products
- Provided detailed information on BC ELN licenses and participation from 2008 to the present for the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) and the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC) as part of the Access Copyright interrogatories
- Participated in teleconferences with Canadian consortia on copyright
- Developed FAQ on copyright and BC ELN licenses for BC ELN Connect
- Multiple meetings with The Alberta Library, COPPUL and e-HLbc to discuss joint initiatives
- Participated on BC Books Online Steering and Executive Committees
- Chair and website lead for Consortia Canada
- Led national renewal of Oxford University Press products, including the Oxford English Dictionary and Oxford Reference Online
e-HLbc admin centre:
- Coordinated strategic planning event for all partners and developed draft document
- Launched new website
- Initiated core suite renewal
- See Progress Report details at http://ehlbc.ca/sites/default/files/AdministrativeCentreProgressReport_Fall2011.pdf
Strategy 1.2 Foster BC Library Collections Gateway
Support and expand the provincial resource sharing network.
- Updated CUFTS Free! Open Access Collections. Now contains > 11,000 journals and magazines, an increase of 1,000 since the last Progress Report
- Initiated preliminary discussions with InterLINK, the BC Libraries Cooperative, and Libraries and Literacy on the future of resource sharing in British Columbia
- Updated monthly free MARC records for freely available electronically Legislative Library serials and monographs to August 2011
- Participated in Auto-Graphics Virtual User Group Conference
- Attended BCCATS fall meeting
Bold Step 2: Facilitating Learning Commons Services
Strategy 2.1: Support AskAway Collaborative Virtual Reference Service
Maintain and coordinate the provincial post-secondary collaborative virtual reference service AskAway.
- Answered over 6200 learner questions, a 9% decrease from the same period in 2010
- Managed set-up of Columbia Bible College as new AskAway participating library
- Released AskAway Service Continuity Plan, following consultation with AskAway participating libraries and BC ELN Steering Committee endorsement.
- Compiled a Fall (Sept - Dec) schedule with participating libraries providing 206 staff hours per week, including 18 additional hours volunteered by 10 libraries.
- Coordinated printing and delivery of marketing materials to AskAway sites.
- Provided 5 in-person and 5 on-line training sessions for a total of 43 AskAway service providers.
- Consulted with coordinator of Just Ask, new InterLINK public library virtual reference service, on communication to AskAway service providers and post-secondary learners.
- For additional details, see the AskAway Coordinator Reports, available here:
Strategy 2.2: Explore opportunities to facilitate additional learning commons services
Actively seek opportunities to participate in the development and support of learning commons services, such as the WriteAway Collaborative Virtual Writing Service, Virtual Study Rooms, or Resumé Writing / Career Services.
- Met with BCcampus to discuss shared interests, including AskAway, WriteAway, copyright changes and potential open education initiatives
Bold Step 3: Supporting Province-Wide Digitization and Scholarly Communication Initiatives
Strategy 3.1: Connect Learners, Educators & Researchers with Digital Collections
Contribute leadership and coordination to provincial and national digitization projects in cooperation with other groups such as the BC Digitization Coalition and Canadiana.org.
- Worked with BC Digitization Coalition (BCDC) Coordinator to secure funding for the development and implementation of a provincial search portal and a digital collection hosting service.
- Worked with BCDC Coordinator to draft an implement plan and timeline for a provincial search portal and a digital collection hosting service.
Strategy 3.2: Articulate & Implement Open Access Archives Strategies
Articulate and implement appropriate role for BC ELN in managing open access archives (e.g. Institutional Repositories, Learning Object Repositories) and supporting adoption by BC ELN partners.
- Participated in ALPS LINK meeting.
Bold Step 4: Ensuring a Relevant, Responsive and Sustainable BC ELN
Strategy 4.1: Strengthen our Infrastructure
Ensure that the BC ELN Office has the human and financial resources needed to meet its Strategic Vision Goal effectively and efficiently.
- 2011/12 – 2015/16 Strategic Plan process:
- Plan endorsed by Steering Committee July 2011
Strategy 4.2: Communicate Effectively
Develop and refine BC ELN communications through targeting messages and marketing for diverse audiences.
- Released May (9:1) and September (9:2) BC ELN Connect.